If you’re lucky enough to live near a Whataburger then you know all about this next recipe. For the poor individuals not lucky enough to have tried Whataburgers delicious honey butter chicken biscuit, have no fear, this version juuuuuust might have it beat. 😉
You can use any biscuit recipe you like here, but I’ve personally tried several & think Joanna Gaine’s recipe is absolute perfection.
If you’re not looking for an elevated version, just sub that canna butter for an additional tablespoon of regular butter.
Dosage will be specific to your infused butter. It’s recommended to start with a low dose of 5mg per serving. For help with making your own infused butter, click here. For help with calculating dosage, click here.
Infused Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit
Magnolia Table Biscuit Recipe (halved)
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks cold butter cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk +1 tbsp for eggwash/brushing
- 1 large egg +1 egg for eggwash/brushing
- 2 chicken breasts cut into cutlets
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup regular breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- frying oil of your choice
Infused Honey Butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp regular salted butter melted
- 1 tbsp canna butter melted
For the Biscuits
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together your baking soda, powder, and flour.
- Add in your butter & use a pastry cutter to work the butter into the flour mixture until the pieces are even and about the size of peas.
- Stir in the beaten eggs with a wooden spoon until combined. Stir in 1½ cups buttermilk until the dough comes together into a sticky mass. If it is too dry, add more buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition, until it reaches the correct consistency. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto your surface, then roll out the dough & press it into about a 1/2 inch thickness.
- Use a floured biscuit cutter (or the rim of a glass if you dont have a biscuit cutter) to cut out about 12 biscuits.
- Transfer the biscuits to the baking sheet. Using the extra egg and buttermilk, make an egg wash & brush the tops of the biscuits.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
For the Chicken
- Cut your chicken breasts in half vertically to make 4 equal sized cutlets. Place them between two sheets of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet to pound them until the chicken gets to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Start an assembly line to bread the chicken. In one shallow dish add 1/4 cup flour. In the second, whisk together your buttermilk & eggs. For the last shallow dish, mix together your breadcrumbs + seasoning.
- Dredge your chicken in the flour, then the buttermilk/egg mixture (shaking off any excess), and finally the breadcrumb mixture. Really press the breading onto your chicken breasts to help it stick.
- Heat your frying oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add your chicken breasts and fry until golden & crispy, about 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack over a baking sheet to keep it crispy while you get ready to assemble!
For the Honey Butter
- Melt your butters over low heat & add them to a small mixing bowl with the honey. Whisk together. If the mixture becomes to thick before using it you can add it to a small sauce pan to reheat & thin it down a bit.
- Slap one of those crispy chicken cutlets between two biscuits, drizzle on that delicious honey butter and ENJOY! 🙂